Sunday, April 25, 2010

Easter: Day Twenty-One, Fourth Sunday in Easter April 25, 2010

Good Shepherd Sunday
John 10: 27-30
"Jesus said: 'My sheep hear my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father's hand. The Father and I are one.'"

We humans tend to look for everything outside of ourselves and neglect the great treasure found within - the Trinitarian love of God. If we were to dwell on this love we would learn what true love really is. Instead we use and manipulate each other and call that true love. True love comes from the source, God. True love is self-less, has no ego, no needs, no wants. True love desires the other and seeks to satisfy the other's ego, needs, and wants. True love is willing to sacrifice for the other, to deny itself that the other's needs are met. True love is only found by walking the way of the cross - difficult if not impossible for us humans. But nothing is impossible for God. He has chosen us from the beginning. He desires to give us the gift of grace. We need only open our hearts to receive. He calls us to turn our lives and wills over to Him. We need only have the desire to give up our self will. But we are blind, deaf, and dumb. We seek to be mini gods and listen only to the many voices outside of us that lead us down a dark and dreary road We think and believe that eventually it will all make sense and we will find what we seek. But we are looking in all the wrong places. Our hearts yearn for the presence of God in our lives and our hearts will never be truly satisfied until we open them to this presence and discover His perfect love. Seek God first and all else will fall into place. Jesus said, "Deny yourself, pick up your cross, and follow me."
God bless!!

No comments: