Saturday, February 27, 2010

Electricity - I love you!!

Our electricity went out around 11pm on Thursday Feb 25, 2010. The wonderful electric company called daily with updates. But they weren't promising. The earliest they thought they might get it back on was around noon on Monday March 1, 2010. Do you know all the things that require electricity?

As I hopped into the shower Friday morning using a flashlight sitting on the sink so I could see while I washed my hair, I suddenly realized that there was no way I was going to dry my hair. Too bad I didn't think of that before I got my hair wet!!! So it was a bad hair day at work on Friday, but at least I had a hot shower and so did Dick. But it was the last of the hot water in the tank!! We came home Friday night hoping to find the electricity miraculously on, but it wasn't to be. So no hot dinner, no washing clothes, no checking the computer, no watching TV, no radio, no coffee in the morning, etc.

I did have to pick up Elizabeth's car Friday night since she had borrowed my car while hers was being repaired. That was not a fun experience. Her car drove just fine for about the first fifteen minutes and then it was down hill. I think someone forgot to put a part back or didn't do a very good job of installation. All I could hear was metal grinding against metal while I drove the car back to her driveway and that is where it still sits! Unfortunately the garage is closed on the weekend so phone calls will be made first thing Monday morning.

Saturday morning I drove to Elizabeth's house around 7am so I could take a warm shower before going to 8am Mass. After Mass, Renee went with me to pick out paint for my hallway. Once the paint job is done, a new hall rug will be installed. I'm hoping by the end of the year, the whole house will be spruced up!!

I then spent the rest of the day with Elizabeth, staying warm and working on my classwork. Left briefly to attend Zachary's basketball game. His team lost by one point, but they played a good game!

Then I left again to go to 4pm Mass with Zachary. After Mass I had a phone call from one of my neighbors to tell me "THE POWER IS BACK ON!" What beautiful words to my ears!! Couldn't wait to get home to enjoy lights, fireplace, cup of hot chocolate, etc.

But before going home, I went back to Elizabeth's to spend some quality family time. Paul, Renee, Zachary, Liam, Keegan, Peter, Leah, Ethan, Owen, Elizabeth, Adam, Maisie and Dick and I were all there. We missed Jim, Amy, Evan, Sophie and Calvin. Hopefully when we gather next month they will be with us. We enjoyed meatball subs, chicken and salad, cheesecake and bakery chocolate chip cookies since I could not make my own. But maybe Sunday I'll do some baking.

Now I'm hoping catching up with all the news on the Internet! Pray for folks in Chile and thank God that the Tsunami did not hit Hawaii. The earthquakes just seem to get bigger.

God bless all and Thank you God for taking care of us!!

No comments: